Well, maybe more about what to really do before doing a project on staining.
- Take off the old finish.
- Figure out if you’re dealing with real wood or veneer.
- Hopefully, you figured out if you’re dealing with veneer before sanding too far down past the veneer into particleboard.
- Sand it down with 80, 120, then 220.
- Wipe it down with a wet cloth to remove the sawdust.
- Stain liberally.
- Read the directions, if it said to wipe the excess off after 5-15 minutes, do it.
- Let it dry.
- Apply the topcoat seal polyurethane stuff.
- Let it dry for 24 hours.
Note: make sure you have good tools.