Every room in your house serves a unique purpose – and all of your design decisions must be based around this. For example, when decorating your bedroom, you must make sure you create the right energy and atmosphere to be able to have a good night’s sleep. In the kitchen, it’s important that you inspire yourself to get cooking and try something new. However, when it comes to the living room, you can afford to have a little more fun.
This is because the living room has multiple uses – it’s a social space for gatherings like dinner parties, but also the space in which your family can relax and unwind after a stressful day. As a result, it’s important that the space is not only comfortable – it should be full of life too!
With that in mind, here are some top tips that you can use to show off your personality in your lounge!
- Make your own artwork. It goes without saying that a creative pursuit can enhance your life – as not only are you developing a useful skill, you’re also finding new and unique ways to express yourself. However, you can combine this project with your renovation ideas and create new artwork for your home. For example, you could purchase a series of canvases and have each family member paint one – using the same colors and styles for a cohesive display. This is also much cheaper than buying art elsewhere – and it’s totally unique to you!
- Create a theme. Redecorating can be difficult – especially when you have so many different things to think about, from lighting to wallpaper and even furniture. However, you can make the process much easier for yourself by selecting a theme for your lounge. While there are plenty of classic options out there, such as art-deco and vintage-inspired rooms, don’t be afraid to let your own passions and interests show in choosing the theme. After all, this space is yours and as such, should be a reflection of you.
- Create a photo wall. Another great way in which you can show off your personality throughout your home is by displaying your photos – from baby pictures of your children to wedding snapshots. After all, your photos deserve to be seen as opposed to simply staying in some forgotten folder on your phone (or getting deleted). This way, you’ll be able to look back on your happy memories every single day. While there are plenty of different ways to display your photographs, a photo wall is perhaps the most effective. Don’t feel as though it has to be neat and tidy either – go for a mixture of different frames and photo sizes to create a truly interesting wall in your home.
- Buy unique finishing touches. Finishing touches can make or break a room – which means that you shouldn’t just buy the first thing you see. For example, you could buy unique round wood coasters from NotJustFrames, which are available in a wide range of designs – whether you choose to have your family name printed on them or an image. Not only do they look great, but they’re also integral in protecting your furniture.
- Paint the walls a bright color. The vast majority of rooms within homes are painted white – for various reasons. It gives off a neat, clean finish and can make smaller rooms seem much bigger than they actually are. However, it’s also much harder to maintain, especially if you have children who like to leave messy fingerprints everywhere. Thankfully, you can kill two birds with one stone by painting the walls a bright or exciting color instead. This is a great way to make a statement. When selecting a color, you should be mindful of the way different colors can affect your mood. For example, pale or pastel colors can help you feel more calm and relaxed – perfect when you’re getting ready to watch a movie.
- Choose a statement wallpaper. Another way in which you can show off your personality in your living room is through your choice of wallpaper – especially if you chose a unique design, print, or pattern. However, if you use an intense or vibrant design, it may be better to apply it to one wall alone, painting the others in a more muted yet still complementary color. This way, the design will still look pleasing as opposed to feeling a little overwhelming.
- Find a show-stopping piece of furniture. Every room should have an item of furniture that pulls focus – such as the bed itself in your bedroom. Once again, in your living room, you have a little more freedom when deciding exactly what item of furniture should be. For example, you could select a wooden coffee table, sofa, or loveseat that is sure to catch any guest’s eye when they enter the room.
- Get creative with lighting. Lighting can drastically change how a room looks and feels. For example, low or ‘moody’ lighting can be used to create a romantic atmosphere, whilst bright lighting can be used to help you feel more focused and alert. However, when it comes to showing off your personality, you should focus more on the lampshades themselves than the light. For example, you may want to select a vintage chandelier.
- Upcycle to your heart’s content. Shopping for new furniture can quickly get expensive, especially if you’re on the lookout for unique items. However, it is important to remember that you don’t have to buy everything brand-new. Pop by your local thrift store, or check out local re-selling groups to see what furniture is on offer. Even if it is not in the best condition, you can always upcycle it. This is a great way to ensure all of your furniture matches a certain theme, or to simply express yourself creatively without breaking the bank in doing so. Furthermore, you can often find high-quality items for a fraction of their original price when thrifting, and it gives you a chance to donate some of your old furniture too.