When you shop for groceries, you are faced with choosing between organic options and regular food options for your fresh fruit and veggies. There are plenty of options in the grocery stores, and if you’re conflicted about whether to go organic or not, you won’t be the only one.
Organic produce is often more expensive to buy, but it’s usually worth it if you understand what it means to choose organic food. Plenty of restaurants and cafes use things like organic sugar in their recipes, and you might be wondering why you should choose to go organic if you can. With this in mind, we’ve put together a list of reasons to help you to decide whether you should choose organic food or not.
- It can be more nutritious. Did you know that organic meat can be more nutritious than the alternative? It’s a sustainable source of omega-3 and research shows that organic meats can have a higher nutritional value. There are plenty of articles out there to show you the benefits of organic meat compared to regular meat. Once you understand those benefits it becomes easier to judge whether organic food is right for you.
- There are no added nasties. Preservatives are a must for a range of foods, but with organic foods, there are no chemical additives. It’s pure compared to other foods, and the additives that are often found in your food like high fructose corn syrups can be avoided. The lack of added chemicals makes it much easier to avoid diseases and other health issues like diabetes and heart disease.
- Avoid pesticides. Almost every farmer, even those with organic produce, choose pesticides to keep their crops free of any bugs and to prevent the entire crop from being torn apart. However, when you choose organic produce, you choose to have natural means to control pests used by the farmers. Organic animals are also not given any growth hormones or vaccines that have been genetically modified. This means that your food can stay chemical-free for as long as possible.
- You’ll look after the planet. Organic farms use processes that are better for the environment. The quality of the water used is maintained and biodiversity is as encouraged as possible. Farmers work much harder to enhance the quality of the crops that they use and it’s a much better, more sustainable farming approach. It’s something that can help the planet for years to come and it’s all because of those who want to buy organic.
- It’s so much better for animals. Did you know that often, conventional farms have sub-par conditions? This can take a toll on their health and increase the use of medications, which decreases the quality of the meat. When you shop organic, you are shopping for something that works better for the animals and the produce you are eating.
Now you know the reasons to go organic, what’s stopping you from choosing to buy your foods differently this month?