Weddings are great occasions unless you happen to be the person organizing them, which does bring a lot of stress. We spent half an hour talking to an experienced event planner about organizing a wedding and here is their advice.
- Start with the guest list – Some people think you should begin with the venue, yet you need to know how many guests are attending before you can sort out a venue. Take your time creating the guest list so you don’t leave anyone out, and when the list is complete, you can start thinking about dates.
- Choosing a wedding reception venue – With a confirmed number of guests, you can start looking at wedding party venues; choose a venue with extensive hands-on experience and all the amenities you will need. The venue would offer a diverse selection of menus, with buffets being the most popular, plus you can tailor their services to suit you. Overnight accommodation should be available, as some guests prefer not to drive home from the reception.
- Flowers – There is affordable flower delivery in Sydney from a leading florist, where you can choose the bride and bridesmaid floral bouquets, plus flowers for the reception tables. Once on their website, you can view the many floral arrangements, and you can order.
- Video/photography – Of course, you want to record your big day, and as you only get one shot at this, we recommend contacting a professional videographer/photographer. Ask to see some of their previous work and make sure you compare quotes. Most wedding photographers would wish to meet the lucky couple, which is always a good idea; be very clear about what you are looking for.
- Choosing a theme –Many couples prefer to have a themed wedding; It might be a 1920s, Art Deco style wedding, a country theme or even a Bohemian theme. Of course, a themed wedding requires careful planning and preparation, which needs to be done from the very outset. Click here for tips on creating a wedding guest list.
- Vendors – You probably want quite a few vendors at your wedding reception, so it is a good idea to list them all, confirming their presence on the big day. Vendors are busy people, and it makes complete sense to check and double-check that they are, in fact, planning to attend.
- Entertainment – Without some form of entertainment, your wedding reception will fall flat; you might prefer a live band, a DJ will many playlists and even a comedian to make the party rock! Most couples prefer to use the resident DJ at the venue, and he/she can play your chosen playlists.
We hope that the above advice helps you to prepare for your 2023 wedding, which should be a day to remember for all the right reasons. Of course, the more time you have to prepare, the better your organization will be. Event planners create lists and work from these to ensure that everything is in place.